Friday 26 June 2009

Do Gods Die?- Michael Jackson’s Death

By Zaythoun Suleman- What do Man in the Mirror, Heal the world, Thriller, Bad and Billie Jean have in common? Yep, MICHAEL JACKSON. Many of us awoke this morning with the news that the “King of Pop” had a full cardiac arrest and died last night.

Many of us received and sent texts late last night about his death. As the news travelled around the globe, fans and the general population were and still are in shock. Michael Jackson is dead!

At the age of 50, the life of the man who many of us grew up with ended. He was a son, father and brother and loved by many others around the world.

He was due to tour London in a couple of weeks with tickets sold out within an hour of the opening. People were still hoping to get in to see him even if it meant paying £1000 a ticket.

Many people will have many different memories of the child star that began his career at 5 years old, whilst most children were playing. His songs and dancing influenced much imagination. The moonwalk became the in thing as was wearing one sequinced glove and pants revealing glittery socks underneath.

As the news of his death spread, many of his followers gathered outside UCLA hospital and his home. Many in total shock and disbelief that such a thing had happened.

Why has it been such a shock? Why is it hard to believe?

When I received a text at 11pm last night, I thought it had to be wrong until I saw it on the news. I questioned why I was shocked as death comes to each and everyone of us, so why should it surprise me so much… Did I believe he could not die? As this thought occurred to me, I realised Allah swt speech “Inna Lillahi Wa Inna Ilaihi Raji’oon – To Allah we belong and to him we shall return”

In the morning, I told my sons what had happened. To which one of them replied, “People thought of him as a God, but he died like everyone else”

Before I began practicing, his words from his song “Man in the mirror” influenced me! Many will remember the lyrics “I’m starting with the man in the mirror, I’m asking him to change his ways and no message could have been any clearer, if u wanna, make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and make that change. You gotta get it right whilst you got the time…”

And “Heal the world; make it a better place for you and for me and the entire human race…” He sang many influential songs.

Many say that Michael Jackson died as a Muslim. The Daily Mail dated 21st November 2008 reported Michael Jackson had reverted to Islam and had changed his name to Mikaeel but Allah knows best.

If this is the case. May Allah swt grant his soul ease after such a hard life and grant him the best in the Akhirah… ameen. When a person dies, he is remembered for what he has done in this life. Every one of us will leave an imprint on people’s lives, let us make a positive one in which we will be rewarded in the Akhirah also Insha Allah.

Michael Jackson’s death to his followers reminded me of the death of Prophet Muhammed sallallahu alaihi salam many years ago.

When the Prophet sallallahu alaihi wa salam died, Abu Bakr radiallahu Anhu came out to the waiting crowd of Muslims and said “O people, If anyone among you worshipped Muhammed, let him know that Muhammed is dead, but those who worshipped Allah, let them know that he lives and will never die…

No comments:

Post a Comment